If you’re going to spend good money on Botox or other neurotoxin injections, like Xeomin, or dermal fillers, like Juvederm, get the very most from your injectable treatments with the following tips recommended by Ventura Dermatologist, Dr. Peter Karlsberg:
Time Your Treatment Accordingly
Plan Around Social and Work Engagements
Those with “once in a lifetime” events involving photos, like weddings, should plan on having injectable treatments at least a month prior to the event, just to be on the safe side.
Ideally, most other patients should book their injectable treatments as follows:
- Botox or Neurotoxins – Bruising is quite uncommon with these, so planning around social or work events is largely unnecessary. The effects of these products do usually take at least a few days to become noticeable (up to 2 weeks for full results). Those wanting to be extra cautious may allow a day or so after treatment for work events or social gatherings.
- Juvederm or Facial Fillers – While bruising is not common, it can happen, but usually subsides within a week when it does. Best practice would be to try to avoid having fillers when you have any important social or work engagements for 5-7 days after treatments. For those that bruise easily, plan for up to 2 weeks afterward, just to be safe. While most bruises can be covered up with make-up, it’s just easier to plan ahead.
Arrive to Your Appointment 30 minutes Early
Numbing is not necessary for Botox or neurotoxins, like Xeomin. Patients getting injectable fillers, like Juvederm, should arrive 30 minutes before their appointment to receive numbing cream. Numbing can help prevent bruising in some cases, since numbing cream can constrict blood vessels, and you’ll achieve the best results if you are more comfortable during the treatment.
Things to Avoid to Minimize Bruising
Medications and supplements to avoid a few days before treatment, if possible:
- Most pain relievers like Aspirin, Ibuprofen (Motrin, Aleve, Advil) or Excedrin (Tylenol is OK, so use that instead)
- Herbal supplements like St. John’s Wart, Ginko Bilboa or Ginseng
If any of the above medications, such as Aspirin, are required for a medical reasons, it is important to check with your doctor first. Patients taking other prescriptions, or on medications like Coumadin (warfarin) or Plavix should stay on those, or consult with us.
Other things to avoid, if possible:
- Alcohol (a day or two prior to treatment)
Those who did have wine or aspirin, etc. shouldn’t worry. These are “best practice” recommendations, not absolute rules!
Talk to Your Doctor
Patients who get cold sores around their mouth should tell to their doctor before treatment. An anti-viral medication may be prescribed beforehand to prevent a recurrence after your treatment. Patients should also let their injector know if they bruise easily, or are on prescription medications.
Beneficial Post-Treatment Care
Expect some minor injection-related reactions like some redness, swelling, bruising, tenderness, or itching at the injection site. These are temporary and should subside in a day or so in most cases.
- It takes 3-7 days for Botox or other neurotoxins, like Xeomin, to have a noticeable effect, and up to 2 weeks for full results.
- It can take a day or so for the results of a dermal filler like Juvederm to fully settle, unless there’s swelling or bruising, in which case full results would evident be once that subsides.
- Try to avoid heavy exercise or even yoga for 24-48 hours after your injections. Walking is fine.
- Stay away from excessive heat like saunas and the sun, when possible, especially until any initial swelling and redness are gone.
- Do not massage or squeeze the treated areas for several hours since the filler is still settling in and wrinkle relaxers like Botox need to stay in place while taking effect.
- Cool compresses can help with discomfort and swelling.
- If you do get slight bruising, Arnica Montana gel applied topically (Whole Foods or some drugstores carry this) can reduce the duration.
- Don’t worry if you see needle marks after the procedure. These usually disappear within a few hours.
Compliment Treatment with Good Anti-Aging Skin Care
In addition to the tips listed above to help you make the best use of your injectable treatments, it is always highly recommended to support your treatment with a good anti-aging skin care regimen. These include:
- Use gentle cleansers to help remove dirt and makeup without striping away natural oils that are important for older skin.
- Use anti-aging serums. Like moisturizers, serums contain powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals. Many also help to lock in your skin’s moisture.
- Generously use anti-aging moisturizers that contain high doses of antioxidants like vitamins C and E. Antioxidants can help neutralize free radicals.
- Beauty doesn’t just begin on the outside; it also starts from within! A basic multivitamin can help fill in the gaps in your diet with regards to skin-supporting vitamins and minerals.
- A good retinoid, derived from vitamin A, should be applied at night to help with cell turnover. Retinoids can diminish fine lines and help lighten brown spots, too.
- You should exfoliate your skin at least once a week to aid in cell turnover. Exfoliating regularly will help improve your skin texture, tone, and evenness.
- Always wear sunblock! Sun exposure is the number one cause of premature aging. Before you go outside, be sure to wear an oil-free, daily moisturizer containing sunblock.
VIDA is a Top Choice for Botox or Juvederm Treatments
There are a lot of options when it comes to Botox and Juvederm injections, but an experienced injector can make a world of difference when it comes to how effective your injections are, and how long they last. When you trust your appearance, your time and your money to somebody, you should be absolutely positive that they are going to provide you a service that you will be thrilled with. With over 20 years of experience, Dr. Karlsberg and his PA-C, Michele Ayans, have a proven record of providing the highest quality cosmetic services. Everything we do, we do at the highest level of quality possible, making your experience comfortable and enjoyable. Want to learn more? Then schedule a consultation today by calling the staff at (805) 677-1600. We look forward to helping you gently turn back the hands of time.